What We Can Do
Language Portability Solutions is dedicated to helping you reduce cost and improve productivity while upgrading your applications to the latest technology. Our suite of COBOL conversion tools can automatically translate your COBOL applications to well organized, readable and maintainable C# for a fraction of the cost and risk of rewriting. Because our tools filter 99.9% of your COBOL to C# without manual intervention, your migration costs are greatly reduced. At the same time, the consistency inherent in an automated migration means you have a substantially lower risk of errors or service level issues in the migrated code. By adopting the latest technology you reduce time-to-market for system enhancements allowing more rapid response to business needs. Plus, the ready availability of C# programmers means faster and easier staffing – often at a lower cost than COBOL programmers.
We are committed to making your mainframe migration a success by delivering a high quality application on time and on budget. With literally decades of experience in migrations, language translation software and runtime environments our team has what it takes to meet your needs. We invite you to learn more about how we can help you meet your objectives as you explore this site. When you’re ready, contact us so we can discuss your specific needs and circumstances.
How We Can Help
At the heart of our services is the automated migration engine. Using our experience in compiler development, language translation, virtual runtime environments and multi-platform support we have created an automated tool that migrates 99.9% of your COBOL source code to C# without need for manual intervention or correction.
We provide a set of runtime objects and methods that are used to insure that migrated COBOL programs are efficient and functionally identical when running in C#. We can provide your C# developers orientation and training to insure they get the most out of these facilities when enhancing and maintaining your migrated C# application.Learn More
We have developed a set of tools that can automatically migrate your DB2 schemas to SQL Server DDL. In addition, we can automatically generate programs that will unload the data from DB2 tables and populate the corresponding SQL Server tables. If you use VSAM we can also generate programs that migrate VSAM data.
One of the most striking differences between mainframe applications and applications running on a Windows server is the range of technologies available to manage the user’s interaction with the application. In order to minimize the impact of the transition from mainframe to server migrations while, at the same time, modernizing the user interaction to the maximum extent possible, we have developed a series of Server Support Utilities. These utilities include a VSAM emulator using an underlying SQL Server database and a Web Transaction Server utility that manages the interactions between users and application programs.
beautify your online presence
Our History – About Language Portability
Language Portability Solutions was founded by William Calcagni and Robert Camacho. Mr. Calcagni and Mr. Camacho have worked together for 30 years creating advanced technology for Global 1000 companies that dramatically reduces cost and improves productivity. Their client list has read like a virtual Who’s Who of global business including such diverse organizations as The World Bank, The International Monetary Fund, Ford Motor Company, Keebler Cookies, Quaker Oats, Toys ‘R’ Us as well as numerous federal, state and local government organizations.
Mr. Calcagni and Mr. Camacho, as the principles and primary technologists for Openware (originally Jacksonville Software) developed one of the first 4GL languages, XGEN, which dramatically improved productivity among mainframe application developers. Later they were among the first to offer a mainframe development environment that ran on a desktop computer generating COBOL that was able to be compiled and run on multiple disparate mainframe platforms. As the power of desktop computers increased they followed this up with a tool that created all the necessary pieces of client-server applications from a single source program.
Openware was also among the first to recognize the possibility of migrating entire mainframe applications to less expensive Unix and PC servers and began developing automated tools to facilitate these migrations. Their first tool automatically translated one dialect of COBOL to another. They followed this with tools that automatically translate COBOL to more modern, object oriented languages.
After several years in development, Language Portability Solutions has launched their most recent suite of migration tools, which can automatically translate IBM mainframe COBOL programs written in Enterprise COBOL and using DB2, VSAM and CICS to C#. This automated migration process has a success rate of over 99.9%.
During their 30 years of providing cost reducing and productivity increasing tools they have developed compilers, virtual machine emulators, language translators, database and data migration tools for a wide variety of languages and platforms.
Mr. Calcagni received his Master’s degree from Harvard University and his Bachelor’s degree from Florida State University. Mr. Camacho received his M.B.A degree from the University of North Florida and his Bachelor’s degree from Florida State University.
“Provide our worldwide clients with the best value in application portability technology.”
Language Portability Solutions’ mission is to provide rapid and lasting return on investment for our clients by creating the best automated technology for porting COBOL application systems to the .NET environment.
- Integrity is the cornerstone of every business decision we make. We are committed to:
- Honesty, in that before we recommend, we consider your specific situation and assure that our solutions will be the correct choice to lead to total satisfaction.
- Simplicity, in that our tools are effective, the output is well structured and represents your desired approach to migration strategy.
- Completeness, in that we strive to deliver a code conversion factor in excess of 99% to lessen manual coding, reduce overall costs, and mitigate risk.
- Accountability in that we assure that the converted application provides the promised results.
- Trust, in that the promised results are delivered reliably and on time.
Our History Timeline
- Founded Jacksonville Software
- Released COGEN 4GL COBOL Generator for Unisys mainframes
- Released XGEN 4GL Multiplatform
- COBOL Generator for Unisys and IBM mainframes
- Offered Unix XGEN and Micro XGEN for PCs
- Company name changed to Openware Technologies
- Openware undertook its first mainframe migration
- Openware purchased and later acquired by MPS Group as Idea Legacy
- Founded Mediaware technogies
- Released ClientView middleware software for IBM and Unisys mainframes
- IBM ClientView acquired by ClientSoft and Unisys ClientView acquired by Idea Legacy
- Starting in 2005, worked with Idea Legacy on multiple mainframe to PC server migrations
- In conjunction with Idea Legacy developed ALGOL to C++ translator
- Developed Unisys COBOL to IBM COBOL translator
- Began development of COBOL to C# translator
- Language Portability Solutions released its COBOL to C# translator